- Synonyms:Natriuretic peptides B, BNP, B-type natriuretic peptide, Brain natriuretic peptide
- Biomarker name:ANFB
- Gene name:NPPB
- Gene id:4879
- Genecards link:http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=NPPB
- Biomarker function:BNP is a cardiac hormone with a paracrine antifibrotic function. It has a role in cardiovascular homeostasis, being involved in natriuresis, diuresis, vasorelaxation and the inhibition of the renin-aldosterone secretion; thus BNP is involved in the reduction of blood pressure. BNP is secreted together with an amino-terminal part (NT-proBNP), which is inactive but presents a longer half-live .
- Neurovascular unit:Unknown
- Intracellular location:Secreted
- Body fluids:Plasma, Serum
- Prot-prot interactions:Yes:
- Signaling pathway:Unknown
- Biological process:
- Comments:BNP is expressed in brain and heart tissue. Several polymorphisms have been described. The molecule is cleaved both in the producing cell and in the bloodstream. Its circulating levels can be increased due to heart disease, renal disease...
- Associations:High circulating levels of BNP/NT-proBNP are associated with poor outcome after stroke, although only minor predictive value is added to clinical information . High BNP levels indicate an embolic origin for stroke patients. Similar levels have been determined in both subtypes of stroke.
- References:1. Kemperman H et al. B-type natriuretic peptide (BNP) and N-terminal proBNP in patients with end-stage heart failure supported by a left ventricular assist device. Clin Chem 2004, 50(9):1670-2; 2. García-Berrocoso T et al. B-type natriuretic peptides and mortality after stroke: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurology 2013, 81:1976-85.
Source articles by endpoint
|Stroke||Makikallio AM, 2005; Glickman SW, 2011;|
|TIA||Üstündağ M, 2010;|
|Cardioembolic||Koenig MA, 2007; Shibazaki K, 2009; Fonseca AC, 2011; Rost NS, 2012; Tamura H, 2012; Santamarina E, 2012; Zhixin W, 2013; Biteker M, 2013; Maruyama K, 2013; Üstündağ M, 2010;|
|Disability||Etgen T, 2005; Sharma JC, 2006; Whiteley W, 2012; Rost NS, 2012; Tu WJ, 2013; Richard S., 2015;|
|Exitus||Etgen T, 2005; Makikallio AM, 2005; Jensen JK, 2006; Koenig MA, 2007; Sharma JC, 2006; Jensen JK, 2009; Shibazaki K, 2009; Shibazaki K, 2011; Idris I, 2010; Whiteley W, 2012; Rost NS, 2012; Hajdinjak E, 2012; Montaner J, 2012; Chen X, 2012; Tu WJ, 2013; Üstündağ M, 2010;|
|No||Kimura K, 2010;|
|Other||Yip HK, 2006;|
|Worsening||Montaner J, 2012;|
|Stroke||Folsom AR, 2013;|
|Ischemic stroke||Koenig MA, 2007; Kim MH, 2010;|