- Synonyms:Matrix metalloproteinase-9, Gelatinase B
- Biomarker name:MMP9
- Gene name:MMP9
- Gene id:4318
- Genecards link:http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=MMP9&search=MMP9
- Biomarker function:Role in local proteolysis of the extracellular matrix and in leukocyte migration. Cleaves type IV and type V collagen. Degrades fibronectin but not laminin.
- Neurovascular unit:Extracellular matrix
- Intracellular location:Secreted
- Body fluids:Plasma, Serum, CSF
- Prot-prot interactions:Yes:
- Signaling pathway:Unknown
- Biological process:Collagen degradation
- Comments:Its proteolytic action over the extracellular matrix is related with angiogenesis processes.
- Associations:Associated with BBB disruption. Positively correlated with stroke severity and infart volume within acute phase of ischemic stroke. Raised plasma MMP-9 in stroke patients than mimics. Its relationship with poor outcome is not clear. Similar levels have been determined in both subtypes of stroke during acute phase.
Source articles by endpoint
|Stroke||Glickman SW, 2011; Montaner J, 2011;|
|Disability||Rodríguez-Yáñez M, 2013;|
|HT||Montaner J. , 2001; Castellanos M. , 2003; Montaner J., 2003; Castellanos M. , 2004; Castellanos M. , 2007;|