- Synonyms:Glial fibrillary acidic protein
- Biomarker name:GFAP
- Gene name:GFAP
- Gene id:2670
- Genecards link:http://www.genecards.org/cgi-bin/carddisp.pl?gene=GFAP&search=GFAP
- Biomarker function:GFAP, a class-III intermediate filament, is a cell-specific marker that, during the development of the central nervous system, distinguishes astrocytes from other glial cells.
- Neurovascular unit:Astrocyte, Microglia
- Intracellular location:Cytoplasm
- Body fluids:Plasma, Serum, CSF
- Prot-prot interactions:Unknown
- Signaling pathway:Unknown
- Biological process:Cell cycle
- Associations:Associated with astroglial tissue damage. Increased levels of GFAp have been found in stroke patients when compared to mimics. Raised GFAP is detected in patients with intracerebral hemorrhages than in ischemic stroke patients.
Source articles by endpoint
|Intracerebral hemorrhage||Dvorak F, 2008; Undén J, 2009; Foerch C, 2012;|